Installation of Stellar Decorative Air Vent Covers and Grilles
2. Once the door is removed, attach your new Stellar Air Decorative Vent Cover by aligning the cover with the box frame.
- If you have an inside layout, the vent cover will fit inside the framework of the box, leaving the outer rim exposed.
- If you have a flush layout, your cover will sit flush with existing box framework, leaving the outer edge exposed along the side
- If you have a wrap-around layout, the cover will fit over the top of the existing box framework leaving nothing visible.
Note: If the screws holding your existing box in place are on the face of the box, you will need to move them to the pre-drilled holes on the interior of the box to ensure the Stellar Air Decorative Vent Cover attaches properly.
Preparation – Priming & Painting
- All Stellar Air Decorative Vent Covers are made of unstained, unpainted natural wood. If you wish to paint or stain your cover, you should do so before installing the cover.
- Always handle with two hands near or at the perimeter of the grille.
- Ensure that the return air opening is sized properly before installing. For information about measuring, pleasse visit stellarairdecorativevents.com
- Ensure that the screws or nails meet the framing or stud behind the drywall.
- Do not force the wooden grille into the metal frame or the return air opening.
Grille does not lock securely in metal frame.
Stellar Air Decorative Vent Covers are installed easily using magnets that are in the back of the wooden vent. If your current metal frame box is aluminum, stainless steel, or another non-magenetic surface, you will need to remove yours and install the new metal frame box that comes with the Stellar Air vent. Make sure to secure the metal frame box straight so the vent can snap in properly . Also make sure that when you secure the new metal frame box in your drywall, you use the inner holes to secure the box. Then snap in the Stellar Air vent in place.
There is a gap between my cover and the frame.
could be 2 reasons: You had secured the metal frame box with the screws in the front, please remove them and secure the metal frame box form the inner part ( where the filter sits in place) Or there is a base molding or framing now allowing you to position the vent all the way in, this is for Wraparound cases. Please visit our website for more information about measuring your current duct opening to ensure proper fitting.
My existing metal box is bent.
In order to ensure that your Stellar Air Decorative Vent Covers fit, you should replace your existing box by using the new metal frame box that came in the box with the wooden vent cover.
How do I replace the filter?
To replace a filter, simply remove the grille by following Steps 1-3 above in the Preparation section. Follow the same steps to remove the filter. Reverse the process to insert a new filter (remember TGIF! – Top Goes In First!) and re-install the vent cover.
How do I measure?
To give you a better idea how to measure, for the registers we need the duct opening dimensions. For example if the opening is 8×10, then the overall dimensions of the vent will be 10×12 allowing you this to have a 1” border around so you can drill it in your wall or ceiling.
For the Return air cover ( magnetic), we need the filter size that you are using behind the grille. If you don’t have a filter there, then measure the duct opening ( NOT the actual vent you have in there now).
If you want the wraparound, just make sure you have at least 2.5 inches from the duct opening all around. That way the wraparound frame can fit. You can see the video posted above for more detail and information.